Early Childhood Caries, also known as Baby Bottle Tooth Decay is a condition that affects infants and toddlers. It most often occurs in the upper front teeth, but other teeth may also be affected. Even though baby teeth are lost and a whole new set of teeth come in it is still important to help your child have healthy baby teeth. Your child’s eventual adult (permanent) teeth stem from healthy baby teeth. It’s also never too early to start those good oral hygiene habits!!
How to prevent Baby Bottle Tooth Decay:
- Don’t put sugary drinks in bottle (juice, soda, sugar water)
- Have child finish bottle before bedtime or naptime
- Provide a clean pacifier if your child uses one (never dip in honey or sugar)
- After each feeding, wipe your child’s gums with a clean washcloth
- When your child’s teeth start erupting start brushing them
- When your child’s first tooth appears, talk to your dentist about scheduling their first dental visit!