Most of us have been told at one point or another in our life that we need to brush and floss our teeth daily. Although that is right there is a little more to it than that. Here is a list of important things to remember while brushing and flossing your teeth and how to maintain a healthy smile.
- Brush your teeth 2 times a day for 2 minutes each time
- Use a 45 degree angle to make sure you are giving your gums attention too
- GENTLE back and forth or circular motions are best
- Brush all surfaces of teeth, inside, outside, chewing, and so forth
- Replace brush every 3-4 months
- Use a soft bristle brush so as not to damage your teeth and/or gums
- Use ADA (American Dental Association) approved fluoride toothpaste
- Floss your teeth at least once a day
- Use about 18 inches (enough to use a clean section between each tooth)
- Wind most of the floss around one of your middle fingers and then the remaining floss around the same finger of the opposite hand
- Hold the floss tightly between your thumbs and forefingers and guide it between your teeth using a gentle rubbing motion (don’t snap it into your gums)
- Curve the floss into a C shape once it reaches the gum line and gently slide it into the space between the gum and the tooth
- Don’t forget the backside of your last tooth in each corner
Last but not least make sure you are seeing your dentist on a regular schedule!!